Spotting a line for food at a summer barbeque can be exciting, but not when that line is made of ants. Prevention of these picnic-crashing pests is key because they can be difficult to control once they infiltrate a property in large numbers.
Summer cookouts, and the crumbs they leave behind, are the perfect targets for ants in need of food and water. There are, however, quick tips and tricks that homeowners can use to sidestep ant infestations. These simple efforts can go a long way, as ants can contaminate food and colony sizes can be quite large depending on the species.
Ants in Summer
Ants hibernate during the winter. This means that they must spend their summers foraging for food to store before the temperatures drop, or risk starving during the winter months. The longer, drier and hotter a season is, the more motivated ants are to find food. This can cause them to show up in unwanted places, such as your family barbeque.
Inside a home, ants are drawn to the kitchen, pantry and bathroom because they contain exactly what an ant is looking for—food and water. Ants can eat almost anything, from sugar packets to grease splattered on your stovetop.
Homeowners can implement the following ant prevention recommendations from the National Pest Management Association:
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water; repair leaky pipes or faucets.
- Quickly clean up crumbs and spills as soon as possible.
- Do the dishes, wipe down counters, tabletops, sweep up floors and remove trash regularly.
- Don’t leave leftover dog and cat food dishes sitting out all day; pick up dishes once the animals are done eating.
- Check under appliances and behind garbage cans where crumbs and residue can accumulate.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Seal any cracks or small openings around the foundation of the home and repair ripped screens as these can serve as entry points.
At Dodson, we inspect first. This approach allows us to make the best recommendation for your specific situation. Then, we can put together a customized service to eliminate the pests that are impacting you. If you need help eliminating ants, contact us for a free inspection.